Unprofitable Boat Trades Revisited

Discuss Paradise Bay with your fellow Trademasters!
Tier 15
djjess

Unprofitable Boat Trades Revisited

Postby djjess » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:01 pm

When Yasmin floated into my dock yesterday, on an 11-hour layover, with the ever-bemoaned request for island items, I decided it was time for a test. I went ahead and made the trade and kept track of all trades for the rest of the day to see what the opportunity cost would be of letting her sit there for the full 11 hours. Seven hours after the first trade, the Gem Trader came in and I postponed her until the morning. Here’s what happened in those 7 hours:

Yasmin, 11 hours – 3 Rainbow Fruit, 1451 coins
Mai, 2.5 hours – 5 Shrimp, 161 coins plus a crate (a turtle brought me a pearl)
Rico, 1 hour – 14 Bamboo, 42 coins
George, 3 hours – 9 Lemons, 227 coins
Unnamed Woman, 1.5 hours – 3 Crab, 100 coins plus an axe (another pearl)
Mai, 4 hours – 9 Cacao, 354 coins
Rico, 3 hours – 9 Peppers, 302 coins
Unnamed Woman, 2.5 hours – 7 Wheat, 172 coins

I chose not to trade for the lemons and peppers, so my dock was tied up unproductively for 6 hours. In the remaining ONE hour, I was able to grow or harvest all of the items. (And the other 6 hours let me do some actual real-world work to make a living.)

Using MY cost and taking into account only the trades I made, I came out ahead with 336 coins plus a crate, an axe, and 2 pearls. Assuming I sold the pearls and axe at max cost on the WM, I would have made a profit of 716 coins. That includes the loss of 193 coins on the first trade.

Most people, I think, could make or grow all of those items. But ...just for fun... here’s the calculation if I had made ALL of the trades and bought/sold ALL of the items on the WM at max cost: The first trade would have lost me 946 coins. The remaining trades would have been at a profit of 213 coins, for a net loss of 733 coins. BUT, that doesn't consider what I might have been able to make in those idle 6 hours.

I hope this little exercise helps in some way to explain why it may be in a player’s interest to go ahead and make an unprofitable trade to clear the dock.
Last edited by djjess on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Island name: TraderGrl

Tier 13
Emilyk6

Re: Unprofitable Boat Trades Revisited

Postby Emilyk6 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:39 pm

I love you for doing this! :geek:
GC ID: emilyk6 (add me)
Level 55

Wish list:
~Level 51 (check)
~a real life spicy mocha (check)
~Clara to go live with the Great Mole in the Sky. (Still waiting :roll: )

Tier 15
djjess

Postby djjess » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Emilyk6 wrote:I love you for doing this! :geek:

:ugeek: :D

Wish list: for the islanders to go on a diet.

Mine too!! :lol:

Tier 15
UmmAbdurRahman

Postby UmmAbdurRahman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:05 pm

I don't really look at it as profit or loss but as long as it's not a cacao or sap boat, I usually always fulfill it cause I hate boats clogging up my docks!
Level 75
All Mills & All Pets
All achievements
Maxed Storage
All islanders Maxed
300+ K Karma

Tier 15
djjess

Postby djjess » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:14 pm

UmmAbdurRahman wrote:I don't really look at it as profit or loss but as long as it's not a cacao or sap boat, I usually always fulfill it cause I hate boats clogging up my docks!

Yup, same here. The coin barely registers for me any more. I look at the bonus items in relation to what their asking for. Gems? You bet! Storage upgrade? I'm on it! Coin only? Let me see if I have enough to spare.
Last edited by djjess on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tier 15
Hollowness

Postby Hollowness » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Sometimes I find when you turn around and sell your rewards boat trades too it can be great profit but if you keep them for yourself you can easily think you are getting ripped off but that is not the case!

I had some big boats giving 2k+ coin plus 2 platinum (or 2 rubies) or 5k+ with blue map piece (and some great EXP if I was leveling) and usually asking for 2 Sunfish or Rainbow fruit (so not the crazy expensive island goods) and things I already had collecting dust in my storage.

I only do boat trades now (cause Clara is level 15 relationship now woot!) and I am almost at 700k coin and 800 gems and I tend to get either a tree or windmill (sometimes both) upgrade ever 2-3 days. And I am not trying to make a profit (just trying to upgrade my storages) and still boats treat me well!
Last edited by Hollowness on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Game Center ID: HollownessDevoured - Level: 52
Paradise Wiki here!
Also Playing My Singing Monsters, if you try it credit my friend code please! Code: 42035296KI

Tier 4
Mommyof2girls

Postby Mommyof2girls » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:01 pm

djjess wrote:
UmmAbdurRahman wrote:I don't really look at it as profit or loss but as long as it's not a cacao or sap boat, I usually always fulfill it cause I hate boats clogging up my docks!

Yup, same here. The coin barely registers for me any more. I look at the bonus items in relation to what their asking for. Gems? You bet! Storage upgrade? I'm on it! Coin only? Let me see if I have enough to spare.

I did this for the benefit of all the newbies complaining about unprofitable boat trades and not having the option to dismiss them. :x

Same with me. Plus I like the challenge of trying to do all of the boat trades. ;) ;)
- April
Level: 80
Treehouse: 4305
Windmill: 4105
Loving life in paradise!
8-) 8-) 8-)

Tier 2
Suzif

Postby Suzif » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:47 am

You all know my opinion on boat trades from previous threads where it's been debated, but to be honest I did a similar experiment to djjess before I noticed this thread and found that you do actually come out ahead if you clear the boat trades. I'm even doing the fruit ones if I have excess or can buy it easily and the peppermint ones too. I'm not too far away from the 4000 dock trades achievement now, and my storage is 300 treehouse and 310 windmill from earning storage items. I do draw the line at some trades though, especially cacao or mangoes! :)
Game Center id : suzi-f
Level 55

Tier 15
djjess

Postby djjess » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Bump.

LunaGirl

Postby LunaGirl » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:06 pm

How did I never see this thread? Brilliant! Thanks for doing this.
"My account was hacked"=modern speak for "My dog ate my homework"
Level 50
GC: Kagandlaw

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”