World Market confession

Discuss Paradise Bay with your fellow Trademasters!
Silverknight

World Market confession

Postby Silverknight » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:37 am

A week ago or so, I vowed to sell a sail every time I offered items on the WM. I have done that. I've also been busy with harvesting extra items needed for players to assist with the current event and selling those too.....pineapples, vanilla, pomegranates, lemons, etc. Please note that I, myself haven't finished this event. So now there is ONE player who somehow buys every thing I sell. This doesn't give anyone else a chance! Clearly, this person, W...Y, has friended my island, yet I have never seen his/her boat at my island. This has been going on for a week. It doesn't matter what time of day I try to sell things. So here's my confession: When I see W purchasing as I sell, I replace the item with 5 green dyes at full price. I admit that's ugly on my part. Genuinely, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help a lot of people to complete this event. I don't feel good about this.
Silverknight98765432 when playing through GP.
The only way I could keep Silverknight was by adding all those numbers! :)

Tier 6
Egersund

Re: World Market confession

Postby Egersund » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:26 am

Silverknight wrote:A week ago or so, I vowed to sell a sail every time I offered items on the WM. I have done that. I've also been busy with harvesting extra items needed for players to assist with the current event and selling those too.....pineapples, vanilla, pomegranates, lemons, etc. Please note that I, myself haven't finished this event. So now there is ONE player who somehow buys every thing I sell. This doesn't give anyone else a chance! Clearly, this person, W...Y, has friended my island, yet I have never seen his/her boat at my island. This has been going on for a week. It doesn't matter what time of day I try to sell things. So here's my confession: When I see W purchasing as I sell, I replace the item with 5 green dyes at full price. I admit that's ugly on my part. Genuinely, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to help a lot of people to complete this event. I don't feel good about this.

I welcome the pirates, middlefolk, consolidators, cheeky bastards, scroungers with open arms as they provide a very useful service in removing items quickly and without fuss. Some of these folks help me dive in fact as well (from time to time) and I keep them close and try to keep them happy with goods.

As for making items to help others, it is admirable. Bravo! (I just do not know how to get rid of a leech/parasite. Perhaps increase all prices to top level for weeks on end and they drop you as a friend??) I make things from raw goods for folks that I do not need, but do not make anything during TF or other events. After the event is completed for me, I do throw in extras. I used to stack and had tons of nice things for sale, but do not do that as we now have storage and I just pearl away boats or send Horatio/TP off quickly when they are unreasonable.
Last edited by Egersund on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Island Name: EgersundNorway with Growly Bear avatar

Tier 2
Glo

Postby Glo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:53 am

I used to do the same thing - selling wanted items at lowest price. I soon stopped when I noticed a "friend" buy everything up and within 30mins resold all the goods he'd (yes he deffo was a he) bought low from me at top prices. I knew this person personally so must admit got on phone and gave him whatfor lol. So now I am very careful - don't advertise and if I see one person buying everything stop for a couple of days.
LEVEL 75
All pets achieved so far

London. England

Tier 5
cookie66

Postby cookie66 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 am

Glo wrote:I used to do the same thing - selling wanted items at lowest price. I soon stopped when I noticed a "friend" buy everything up and within 30mins resold all the goods he'd (yes he deffo was a he) bought low from me at top prices. I knew this person personally so must admit got on phone and gave him whatfor lol. So now I am very careful - don't advertise and if I see one person buying everything stop for a couple of days.

I've been selling alot of chillies and pearls as I'm not doing this event. i sell everything at a price point that's not at max but high enough to make it not worthwhile for the resellers. i sell at irregular times and dont sell everything at once to try to avoid these issues.
lvl 80: Paul with peacock avatar when connected to FB, or cookie with monkey head
TS Code: F5RB67

Tier 2
Nooneandanyone

Postby Nooneandanyone » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:04 pm

I sell at top price to anybody.... and if one person buys it they must need it for whatever reason.

There’s no point to sell below top price as there’s no competition. It’s luck what you see in the market, so no comparison shopping— so just max the price and if ppl need it ppl will buy it. And I’m not going to judge.

I know I buy quickly on reflex because if I think it might be gone... and sometimes I resell because my reflexes were stupid.... and to be honest I don’t know if I’m selling it for more than I bought it because I don’t pay attention to price.

Those are my confessions
FB: Alice Carroll (Happy to add PB friends)
GC: emojis that read “sun moon | Alice down the rabbit hole | stars rain”

Silverknight

Postby Silverknight » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks to all for your suggestions and support. Truly I was mad at myself for getting so frustrated. It's just a game. This morning I put items on the WM like blueberries, cacao, pineapples, vanilla, etc. Of course it was all purchased by the same person. So, I'll take your advice and sell at the highest price, even though I don't need the gold. I understand that when we sell items on the WM, we release all control and it's up for grabs. That's how it works.
Silverknight98765432 when playing through GP.
The only way I could keep Silverknight was by adding all those numbers! :)

Tier 6
Egersund

Postby Egersund » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:14 pm

Silverknight wrote:Thanks to all for your suggestions and support. Truly I was mad at myself for getting so frustrated. It's just a game. This morning I put items on the WM like blueberries, cacao, pineapples, vanilla, etc. Of course it was all purchased by the same person. So, I'll take your advice and sell at the highest price, even though I don't need the gold. I understand that when we sell items on the WM, we release all control and it's up for grabs. That's how it works.

The established players have more than enough gold coin just after they buy their last piece of land. I have no idea when that is for folks, but I seem to remember it being about level 55 for me. Having said that, I sold meat pizzas to some consolidator so the allure of gold never fades for some players. When a resource is plentiful, I do not see the point... If it is paddles, stairs and gems well... :o :lol: :lol:
Island Name: EgersundNorway with Growly Bear avatar

Tier 16
BethM

Postby BethM » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Nooneandanyone wrote:I sell at top price to anybody.... and if one person buys it they must need it for whatever reason.

There’s no point to sell below top price as there’s no competition. It’s luck what you see in the market, so no comparison shopping— so just max the price and if ppl need it ppl will buy it.

ITA. I wish they would just get rid of the price up and down adjustment. I tend to sell at default simply because it is easiest but selling at less than top orice does mean the more useless items are being bought for resale and will just clog up the market a second time. IMO the negatives of the variable pricing outweigh any benefits.

Besides, it is one more chunk of coding they could clear out of the game.
Last edited by BethM on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Level 80 on iPad - Susan with geranium avatar if connected to FB, otherwise BethMme
Level 69 on Windows 10 laptop - Susan with monkeyhead avatar
Township player code: A9FMP2
Farmville Tropical Escape code: FI6E-WHJ0 (last digit is zero)

Tier 5
outpt1

Postby outpt1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Most of the time I sell at top price to try to at least curb some of the leeches if one has the coins it’s not going to even slow them down. And the throw in some middle ground prices. Was cranking out axes the other day which I do from time to time as these are hard to get items that rarely appear.
Level 80
Small town East Texas
Island 1 outpt1
Island 2 outpt2 of course

flokie

Postby flokie » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:39 pm

I sell at top price, except hawaiian shirts and green dyes, as otherwise only Wesley is likely to pick these up, and I'd often rather have a couple free slots.
I'll plead guilty to pouncing onto some items - especially anything harvested from trees and bushes. I only have a few eternal trees, and I've decided to hang on to prestige points until I can purchase the Jukebox, so I'm very often running low on these. If someone is selling loads, like 3x 5 items I'll make sure I'll leave one the slots available to other players though. I also make a point of visiting islands that I buy from, and will usually gift something in return. (Except when I see dead tree cemetaries!)

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”