Activision blizzard

Discuss Paradise Bay with your fellow Trademasters!
Tier 5
Tresa

Activision blizzard

Postby Tresa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 am

I just read an article that they had a lay off. Their sales were down. That's probably why king has been trying so hard to get money out of us. It also said they will focus more on the games that make them the most profit....like candy crush.

Tier 2
Mudgie

Re: Activision blizzard

Postby Mudgie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 am

Who is Activision?

Tier 2
HobbyforCheryl

Postby HobbyforCheryl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 am

It's the company that owns King. Here is a link to one article about the layoffs. I hope this won't affect PB too much, but it might.
http://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/ ... 571288/amp
Level: 80
Played since November, 2015
FB: Cheryl B. H.
Florida
Pets: 88

Silverknight

Postby Silverknight » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 pm

I did a little further research . According to a couple of sources, they have shut down the Seattle studio with a loss of 78 jobs. The home base for PB is now in Europe. I don't want to provide any links since I'm not certain about the reliability of the sources.
Silverknight98765432 when playing through GP.
The only way I could keep Silverknight was by adding all those numbers! :)

Tier 15
J1st

Postby J1st » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Silverknight wrote:I did a little further research . According to a couple of sources, they have shut down the Seattle studio with a loss of 78 jobs. The home base for PB is now in Europe. I don't want to provide any links since I'm not certain about the reliability of the sources.

Interesting, I thought Seattle was the main base for PB.
Level: 80 Windows 10 Since June 2016, Jerry's Island
Level: 69 Apple IPad Pro Since July 2017, Sheila's Island
FB Pic - Not this avatar...but we could be brothers. :lol:
FB Pic - She and Me ⭐️
Wiki: https://paradise-bay.fandom.com/

Tier 16
Kittykatz

Postby Kittykatz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm

I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I guess it puts things a little better in perspective that while we enjoy the free aspects of this game, and complain about paying for premium items, some people have actually lost their jobs.

I still can't wrap my head around games being free. I'm so glad they are, but never understood how they can stay afloat and be lucrative.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tier 8
Shrippers

Postby Shrippers » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 pm

J1st wrote:
Silverknight wrote:I did a little further research . According to a couple of sources, they have shut down the Seattle studio with a loss of 78 jobs. The home base for PB is now in Europe. I don't want to provide any links since I'm not certain about the reliability of the sources.

Z2 are (were) in Seattle, PB was theirs originally.
GC ID: Shrippers
Level: 80
UK

Tier 15
J1st

Postby J1st » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Kittykatz wrote:I guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I guess it puts things a little better in perspective that while we enjoy the free aspects of this game, and complain about paying for premium items, some people have actually lost their jobs.

I still can't wrap my head around games being free. I'm so glad they are, but never understood how they can stay afloat and be lucrative.

I've just finished reading several articles, and the Z2 studio, which created Paradise Bay, which was bought by King, and later bought by Activision is being shut down. There are about 70 employees listed as being used to work there. I am responding to your post Kitty because it really is amazing how the freeware (especially in games) actually works. The pay to play games are not included in these statistics. The multi-billion dollar industry is actually supported by about 10-12% of the players, and the other 88% enjoy the fruits thereof. The 88% are important though, as they are the main advertising arm for their particular game. There are trickles of revenue from time to time from the infrequent contributor, but it isn't supposed to be statistically important. If you go even higher in % support, as in pokemon-go, where you start approaching 25-30%, your revenues can jump up into the billions. I think pokemon-go earned 2.3 billion for 2017. Activision says they are going to focus more on games, and less on their non-game venues, so it could either be a good thing or a good night for Paradise Bay, we'll have to wait and see. I would suspect that customer service might be a little slow for a few weeks, but I could be wrong.
FB Pic - She and Me ⭐️

Tier 15
J1st

Postby J1st » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Tresa wrote:I just read an article that they had a lay off. Their sales were down. That's probably why king has been trying so hard to get money out of us. It also said they will focus more on the games that make them the most profit....like candy crush.

An article I read said they were reducing 8% of their workforce, about 800 employees. They shut the Seattle and San Francisco offices down completely. The articles went on the say that they had beat their sales forecasts, but missed on some internal goals that forced the RIF.
FB Pic - She and Me ⭐️

Tier 15
J1st

Postby J1st » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:33 pm

Shrippers wrote:
J1st wrote:

Z2 are (were) in Seattle, PB was theirs originally.

Tom, I heard that the main work was being done in Malta for PB. Can you confirm or deny if that is (was) true?
FB Pic - She and Me ⭐️

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”