Slightly worrying.

Discuss Paradise Bay with your fellow Trademasters!
Haz

Slightly worrying.

Postby Haz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Various rumours about Paradise Bay closing down. Anyone have any information.
I have read many articles but am none the wiser.

Tier 16
BethM

Re: Slightly worrying.

Postby BethM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Ever since they closed the Seattle office and announced the plan to eliminate some game titles and redirect staff to others, we have been wondering what their plans are for PB. I don’t think anyone outside the company knows yet. It may be the Activision King people haven’t made any decisions yet.

One thing we do know is that The Activision announcement did mention some specific games and esports being eliminated and PB was not on that list.

I also ran across one news item where Activision was reassuring the Heroes of the Storm community that the game was not being cancelled. Some of the staff has been reassigned to other products but they said:

“We’ll continue actively supporting the game with new heroes, themed events, and other content that our community loves, though the cadence will change. Ultimately, we’re setting up the game for long-term sustainability. ”

I’m hoping they plan something similar for PB - making it sustainable but less costly. I think most of us would be ok with events arriving at a slower cadence. ;)
Level 80 on iPad - Susan with geranium avatar if connected to FB, otherwise BethMme
Level 69 on Windows 10 laptop - Susan with monkeyhead avatar
Township player code: A9FMP2
Farmville Tropical Escape code: FI6E-WHJ0 (last digit is zero)

Tier 16
Kittykatz

Postby Kittykatz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:59 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's unethical and against the law for any game to accept money for any reason if they are planning to shut a game within 6 months or a year.

If they are planning to close the game, they are supposed to advise players .

They're supposed to make a statement saying although they are shutting down if you wish to continue playing until the close down, we hope you enjoy the time left. ( Something like that)

There might be some forum members who have more detailed insight to these things, perhaps you can share your experiences.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Haz

Postby Haz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Thank you for your input.

Silverknight

Postby Silverknight » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:08 pm

PB has 4 days left to honor their agreement with players who purchased the premium level for the Griffin. I'm hoping for the continuance of this beautiful game and the friendships that have developed.

In the meantime, when I have a chance, I plan to put as many springtime flowers and trees out on my island as time permits. Spring will come, regardless of the snow.
Silverknight98765432 when playing through GP.
The only way I could keep Silverknight was by adding all those numbers! :)

Tier 16
BethM

Postby BethM » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Kittykatz wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's unethical and against the law for any game to accept money for any reason if they are planning to shut a game within 6 months or a year.

If they are planning to close the game, they are supposed to advise players .

It is pretty unethical but I doubt against the law. In any event whose law even applies here? Activision is Swedish company. Customers of these games live all over the World.

Activision closed their Heroes of the Storm Global Championship (HGC) esports league with no notice. That wasn’t just a game, it was a league where players competed for real money prizes for their livelihood and others got income from broadcasting the matches.
Level 80 on iPad - Susan with geranium avatar if connected to FB, otherwise BethMme
Level 69 on Windows 10 laptop - Susan with monkeyhead avatar
Township player code: A9FMP2
Farmville Tropical Escape code: FI6E-WHJ0 (last digit is zero)

Tier 3
DragonDiscipleD

Postby DragonDiscipleD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 pm

BethM wrote:... Activision is Swedish company. ...

Nope, it's not ...what makes you think so? Activision Blizzard is an American holding company based in California. ;)
Island name: Me (Level 80) aka Tero
Finland

Tier 16
Kittykatz

Postby Kittykatz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Silverknight wrote:
In the meantime, when I have a chance, I plan to put as many springtime flowers and trees out on my island as time permits. Spring will come, regardless of the snow.

They might be waiting to get rid of the snow on our islands until the Spring Equinox, March 20.

I'm sure hoping the abundant amount of snow and ice melts by then where I live. :?

I've already put some winter animals into hibernation, and melted the snow that I can on my island.

I'm looking forward to my sandy beaches too, I'm sure Miss Queen Crab is too. ;)
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Tier 16
Kittykatz

Postby Kittykatz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:01 pm

DragonDiscipleD wrote:
BethM wrote:... Activision is Swedish company. ...

Nope, it's not ...what makes you think so? Activision Blizzard is an American holding company based in California. ;)

Activision Blizzard, Inc. is an American video game and film holding company based in Santa Monica, California.[3] The company was founded in July 2008 through the merger of Activision and Vivendi Games, the company is traded on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the ticker symbol ATVI,[4] and since 2015 has been one of the stocks that make up the S&P 500.[5] Activision Blizzard currently includes five business units:[6] Activision Publishing, Blizzard Entertainment, King,[7] and Major League Gaming,[8] and Activision Blizzard Studios.[9][10]

Tier 16
Kittykatz

Postby Kittykatz » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:06 pm

BethM wrote:
It is pretty unethical but I doubt against the law. In any event whose law even applies here? Activision is Swedish company. Customers of these games live all over the World.

Activision closed their Heroes of the Storm Global Championship (HGC) esports league with no notice. That wasn’t just a game, it was a league where players competed for real money prizes for their livelihood and others got income from broadcasting the matches.

You may have read this.

Sweden-born startup King - which is behind the global hit Candy Crush - looks set to be bought by US gaming company Activision Blizzard for $5.9 billion (around 50 billion kronor). ... The US firm bought Blizzard, the company behind the smash hit game World of Warcraft previously owned by Vivendi Games back in 2008.Nov 3, 2015

It was a Swedish born start up.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”